Thursday, March 10, 2011

Commandments and Blessings

What are commandments?  Why are commandments important? 

In St. John 14:15 Christ spoke of commandments. He simply said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments."
As far as I understand, commandments are specific actions Jesus Christ asks us to do.  Many commandments are spoken directly from Him.  The New Testament in the Bible is the text to His words.  Other commandments come through the voices of prophets; holy men of God with a purpose to act, and speak in His name.  The Bible, and Book of Mormon are two such books that contain the words of prophets who have spoken for Christ to tell us of His will and Gospel. 

Commandments are much more than words, they are guides, that if followed, have promises connected with them.  When we keep commandments we are blessed, when we fail to keep a commandment we do not qualify for the special blessing.
John 7: 17 says, "If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."  I take this to mean that if we shall do His (Christ's) will, we shall know He gave it to us.  We will know the doctrine of Christ.
The Doctrines and Covenants of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints supports John with this passage in section 82:10, "I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say, but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise."

I love this!  I know that keeping/following commandments brings blessings of happiness.  I am a witness to that.  Throughout my entire life I have found that when I do keep commandments, I am happier than when I don't.  My life gets easier.  I found that the tasks that normally bother me are reduced.  I feel more peaceful. 

In 3 Nephi 14:21 Christ said, " Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven."

I believe that commandments brings blessings... even to the point of entering into the kingdom of heaven as Christ taught.   I know that keeping commandments leads us to be happy.  I feel this is because when keep commandments we are showing our love for Christ and our Heavenly Father. 

I invite everyone to be aware of commandments and to watch for their blessings.  The blessings, may not be  immediate, or in our timing, but I promise they will come as we keep Christ's commandments.

No comments:

Post a Comment