Thursday, March 24, 2011

Baptism and the Holy Ghost

As part of His mortal ministry Jesus Christ went to His cousin John to be baptized.  When I thought about this act by the Master I was curious why the Savior of the world chose to be baptized.  After all, isn't baptism to wash away our sins?  If the Savior was the only perfect person, why did He choose to be baptized? 

I love these words from 2 Nephi 31: 5-11
And now, if the Lamb of God, he being holy, should have need to be baptized by water, to fulfil all righteousness, O then, how much more need have we, being unholy, to be baptized, yea, even by water!

 And now, I would ask of you, my beloved brethren, wherein the Lamb of God did fulfil all righteousness in being baptized by water?
 Know ye not that he was holy? But notwithstanding he being holy, he showeth unto the children of men that, according to the flesh he humbleth himself before the Father, and witnesseth unto the Father that he would be obedient unto him in keeping his commandments.
 Wherefore, after he was baptized with water the Holy Ghost descended upon him in the form of a dove.
 And again, it showeth unto the children of men the straitness of the path, and the narrowness of the gate, by which they should enter, he having set the example before them.
 And he said unto the children of men: follow thou me. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, can we follow Jesus save we shall be willing to keep the commandments of the Father?
And the Father said: Repent ye, repent ye, and be baptized in the name of my Beloved Son.




On the 15th of May, 1829 John the baptist, the same person who baptized Jesus laid his hands upon a man named Joseph Smith, and gave him the proper authority to baptize after centurys of being lost.


 Later the authority to confer the Holy Ghost was also given to Joseph Smith through Peter, James, and John. 

The Holy Ghost is a spirit of comfort, of who's influence we can feel.  He comes to testify of truth, give comfort, give instruction, and do all that our Heavenly Father would have him do. “We are given the gift of the Holy Ghost after our baptism, but often we leave this gift on the shelf, forgetting that He will help us in the most important judgments of our lives. The Lord gave us this gift, knowing we would face difficult decisions in life. Listening to this voice is vital in developing good judgment. A relationship of listening often requires a quiet environment in which we can take time to ponder and hear the still, small voice. This peaceful environment is both external and internal.”

Gregory A. Schwitzer, Developing Good Judgment and Not Judging Others," May 2010, 105

I am so greatful that I have received the gift of the Holy Ghost.  I use His influence on a daily basis with all circumstances I find myself in.  It is a wonderful and most precious gift that I know will always be with me as long as I am faithful in keeping God's commandments.

If you have not received these blessings, I hope you will talk to the missionaries.  If you have any questions you can email me at mark.lewis@myldsmail.net

No comments:

Post a Comment